Conservation volunteering in South Africa
African Quiver is excited to announce an exciting relationship with a prime 30 000 hectare private game reserve near the Kruger National Park in South Africa. This reserve is home to the fabled big 5 as well as only 13 land-owners who spend their private time there. The reserve has created a research department in order to inform their management practices relating to ecosystem management.
This has resulted in in an unprecedented opportunity to provide volunteer research into critical conservation issues that will inform their in-house ecologists.
Recent projects include analyses of big cat behaviour, rhino monitoring and the effects of breeding selected species on the natural environment. The reserve used to be a cattle station over 30 years ago and those impacts are also being assessed.
The reserve is well resourced and has state of the art equipment to conduct research but they really do require enthusiastic and committed individuals to collect data, check fence lines, set-camera traps and observe particular animals on a day to day basis.
While there is comfortable volunteer accommodation, new designs for a dedicated volunteer HQ have been sourced as well as a prime location within the reserve.
In summary, the reserve is serious about research, serious about the data and committed in the long run to this project. Over and above that, due to the extremely low human footprint, this reserve is rapidly becoming a pristine wilderness eco-system and thus likely to become a leading volunteer research unit in South Africa.
About 1 hour from Hoedspruit
- The daily rate is R1,300.00 per person per day with a minimum stay of 7 days.
- Please note the general programme is operated on a fortnightly basis, so to get the most out of the experience we recommend spending two weeks or more with us.
- Discounts may be available for those staying for more than 4 weeks. Please enquire
Bookings can be taken throughout the year (except for 20th June – July 29th which is already fully booked) with placements throughout August looking to be fully booked soon.
What is Included in the Rate
- Meals. (Personal snacks are not included.)
- Tea, Coffee & Cordials.
- Laundry service.
- All activities on the Game Reserve.
- Private paramedic service.
- Free transfers from & to Hoedspruit Eastgate Airport or the Ashton Tours Shuttle bus service drop off point at Three Bridges restaurant – on Mondays only.
What is not Included in the Rate
- Travel and medical insurance.
- Any related travel costs such as visas.
- Vaccinations and medications.
- Transfers/transport to the Game Reserve on days other than Mondays.
- Any group excursions. • Any accommodation before and/or after the stay.
- Special beverages (beers, ciders, soda drinks, bottled water).
- Personal kit and equipment
Please request a booking via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and should availability allow, a registration and booking email will be sent to you which will include the payment information and necessary forms. These forms need to be completed, signed and returned to us (by email) within 7 days.
Please provide the appropriate information should you wish your invoice to be made out to some other person/entity other than yourself.
- A 40% deposit is required immediately to secure your booking.
- The full balance is payable 30 days prior to your arrival date.
- Proof of payments must be emailed to email@example.com
- We will confirm your booking by email. Further information will follow from our admin and support departments