Equine Volunteering, Mpumalanga, South Africa
This project is set in the beautiful surroundings of the Lowveld on the Drakensberg Escarpment, offering a scenic adventure. The project runs for a minimum of one week and maximum of 8 weeks.
Volunteers must have horse riding experience….other basic skills and project responsibilities are taught to volunteers during their stay.
It is essential that volunteers are between 18-55 years of age, physically fit and of a weight below 90kg.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
Group Size Small Group
- Care of the horses starts at 7/am and finishes when all is done. You will be driven to work at 6h45 with the work vehicle or you can walk to the stables for 07h00.
- Feed Stallions (and other paddock horses) twice a day: 7h00 and 15h30
- Fill up hay nets twice a day
- Pick up horse droppings in and around paddocks daily. Pick up droppings in the stables and lunging arena. Big paddock and smaller paddocks. Dump into compost heap.
- Check the Horses drinking water twice a day at feeding times. When there is horse in the big paddock, check water constantly and fill up.
- Check horses over for injuries etc.
- Tick spray all horses every Friday or when required.
- Dry and refold numnahs after every ride. Numnahs should be put away at the end of the day.
- Clean bits (don’t leave bridles lying in water) and hang bridles neatly.
- Tack room must be neat and tidy at all times. Clean out tack room, feed room and outside area with water and broom daily.
- Clean grooming equipment daily.
- Please don’t put anything on the ground (no crops, helmets, brushes, blankets etc.)
- When finished with grooming equipment please put it back on grooming shelf.
- Halters must be hanged up neatly.
- No saddles or bridles, equipment to be left outside. Saddles go from Tack room to horses back, and from horse back to tack room.
- Halters must be hanged up neatly.
- On weekends please make sure all bathrooms are clean(check for toilet paper ect)
- Bar area must be kept cleaned (cups, plates, glasses etc must be taken to wash up area and washed)
At home Volunteers are expected
- To assist with cooking
- Washing of dishes and pots, kitchen to be left spotless. Leftover food must be put in containers into the fridge
- Tidiness of volunteer flat and main house
- Do their own laundry
- Prepare own breakfast and lunch
- Dinners are prepared as a team in the main house
WHEN WE HAVE RIDES:
- Have horses groomed and saddled at least 15min before guests are due to arrive (45min before scheduled ride).
- Please wear your helmet for your own safety (compulsory)
- One or more students normally stay behind and continues with the above duties.
- One or more students to accompany Lead guide on outrides. (Lead guide will decide).
- Last back up through gate to close after him / her.
- All students to help guests mount and dismount and help tether the horses.
- Put halters around necks. Only when all horses are safely attached start unsaddling.
On the ride WITH GUESTS:
- Keep (beginners) horses moving and the group together.
- Keep all horses in single file (incl. yourself!).
- Give riding advice (heels down, squeeze legs, long reins, how to trot etc).
- Maximum 4 Volunteers
- 2 bedroom flat, sharing
- Shower, basin and toilet
- Basic kitchenette
- 3 Meals per day and cooking take place in the main house
- Laundry facility available
- travel insurance and medical costs,
- bar accounts,
- Transfers from Nelspruit,
- Items of a personal Nature,
- Optional excursions
The daily rhythm can include any of the following:
• General equine husbandry
• Lessons in saddles and bridles
• Horseback riding
• Traction work with Horses
• Clearing of Trails
• Counteracting alien vegetation
• Daily duties (as per list) i.e.: feeding, caring for in house horses and chicken project, cleaning and maintenance of stable facilities
• Vegetable project for community Kids
• Horse preparation for rides
• Volunteers must be enthusiastic and be prepared to work hard and be part of the Team
• Home stay assistance in cooking, cleaning, laundry etc.